Saturday, March 7, 2009

Night Out on the Town

Grrrrr.... I left the camera at home. I'm sooooo pissed, I totally meant to bring it, but left it on my coffee table on the way out. It would have made an EXCELENT blog of the night.

Pentagram was awesome, and it would have been great to get a few pictures. The singer looks like he's 70 years old, despite the long haired afro that he's sporting. His huge googly eyes were just creepy, and his Mick Jagger "chicken on acid" antics were hilarious. Turns out they hardly changed the main room at all since the days of The Ritz. I mean not even a new paint job. It was really cool seeing a real metal act back there. They did add a smaller dance room and a lounge bar downstairs... I thought the whole place was re-habbed... but that's not the case.

Met up w/ Anthony and long lost brother Barney Rubble (hadn't seen him in many years). So that's another set of pics I wish I got.

Next, off to Otto's Shrunken Head Tiki Bar... a heavy metal tiki bar on 14th St far East by Stuy-town. They have a back room w/ live music (saw Matty play there before). We caught this AMAZING act... a rockabilly trio called the High Octane Band. Stripped down drum kit, hollow body guitar, and stand up base. Dudes looking all hep-cat w/ big sideburns and greased back hair. They were FANTASTIC. They broke into some Johny Cash songs, and in the middle of Fulsome County Prison, without changing a note or a beat, they break into "Ever since I was a young boy, I played the silver ball. From Soho down to Brighton, I must have played them all..." Yes... PINBALL WIZARD... with just a few pauses added here or there, the lyrics fit perfectly. I forget the other Johny Cash song they did, but they broke into The Yardbirds' "Train Kept a Rollin'" in the same manner... didn't change what they were playing at all, just squeezed in the other song's lyrics. And they ended w/ a fairly obscure song from The Clash called "Brand New Cadilac". I always loved that song... "Balls to you daddy... I ain't never comin' back."





and here's the Yardbirds...


So again, missed pics.

Finally, on train platform, this black dude is strumming the acoustic guitar mic-ed up through a mini amp. He breaks out these slow moody rock numbers... one was "Loosing My Religion". I was amazed cuz my prejudice mind told me I should expect Motown from this guy.

All this fun and excitement and still home before 1am. Only in New York I tell ya. If only I had the pics... it would have been awesome.

No comments: